Old 18-03-2015, 07:18 AM posted to aus.gardens
Bloke Down The Pub Bloke Down The Pub is offline

Default Old seeds

"Jeßus" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 12:13:25 +0800, "Bloke Down The Pub"
wrote:

"SG1" wrote in message
raweb.com...
Put some old seeds into seed raising mixture to see if any of them are
viable. Hopefully some will be and I can get a new supply without paying
outlandish prices for heirloom varieties.

SO what was the results of the old seed trial? I have found its a bit of
lottery when I plant things I have left over but I often get a few starts
so
will never cast them aside without at least giving them a try.

I have a bucket full of broad bean seeds (from my garden) that are
either 3 or 4 years old now. I'll be planting them shortly. Will be
interesting to see how many are viable. Some friends planted a couple
hundred of them last year and the germination rate was basically 100%.

The problem I have with beans is I plant 2 at each position, with the
intention of thinning down to one when they germinate and the ones left over
I fill in random small spots that would be fallow if not for the beans. The
random beans seem to have 100% germination and the carefully spaced beans
will grow 2 or none and not evenly spaced so I could tell the wife I planned
it.

Mike