Old 19-06-2016, 06:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default What type of weed is this?

Frank wrote:
I'm no where near a a gardening expert but think if leaves are connected
by a vine then it is a ground ivy. A broad-leaf spray should work to
control it.

I pull it and spray it but have boundaries where I can't control it and
it keeps coming back.

put a trench in and bury a few layers of thick black plastic
(make sure seams are overlapped and folded/pinned in place
before refilling trench). most weed roots will not go down
more than a foot or two. the creeping ground covers may go
even less (a foot or so is probably plenty). that ways they
can't reinvade...

i need to do this along one of our drainage ditches as
the grass that grows along there is very invasive and very
tough to get out of the clay once it gets established...

i don't use weed sprays if i can help it so any barriers
and mulches i can use to smother and keep things from
spreading the better it is. a few layers of cardboard
(overlapped again) and then topped by wood chips (deep
enough to cover and keep light out) will smother almost
anything. by the time the cardboard breaks down (one or
more years depending upon how wet your location is) the
plant roots underneath have given up. from then on as
long as you don't disturb the soil and just top it off
with fresh wood chips once in a while the area will be
easier to take care of. weeds are also much easier to
remove from mulch if you get them early enough.

p.s. strawberries like such mulched areas too if they
get enough light and moisture...

songbird