Old 12-07-2016, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default weed control

On 12/07/16 21:37, Don Wiss wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, Jeff Layman wrote:

Unfortunately not. Just google "clopyralid" and "persistence" - for
example see http://compostingcouncil.org/persist...rbicide-faq/#1

And Roundup is different? I don't think my ounce of clopyralid mixed into
the township's compost heap will make much difference. It is pretty crappy
compost with road gravel. I don't know who takes it for what use. We don't.

Roundup contains glyphosate. It is much less persistent than clopyralid.
Also, clopyralid is absorbed through he plant's roots. Glyphosate is
absorbed through leaves, so it doesn't matter if there is any in the
compost.

If yours is the only clopyralid mixed in the township's compost then it
won't matter. But if you are using it, maybe quite a few others are too,
and that might make a difference.

--

Jeff