Old 17-07-2016, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default weed control

On 7/12/2016 5:53 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 12/07/16 11:28, Don Wiss wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2016, Jeff Layman wrote:

And what do you do with the dead weeds?

Once a week my mom's town picks up the yard debris to send to composting.
Stinger is used on food crops up to 45 days before harvest. I would think
by the time the compost is made the herbicide will be gone.

Unfortunately not. Just google "clopyralid" and "persistence" - for
example see http://compostingcouncil.org/persist...rbicide-faq/#1

Not long ago in the UK a number of composts had to be removed from the
market. When used to grow produce such as tomatoes, beans, and some
ornamentals the effects were very damaging - see
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=477

Seattle and others had a real problem with it in their compost.

"The organic growers in Eastern Washington who lost their certification
due to involuntary clopyralid contamination disagree. So do officials at
WSU at Pullman who have paid out more than $200,000 in damages to
growers whose tomato crops were killed by clopyralid-contaminated WSU
compost. So, thankfully, does Eastern Washington University, where
researchers are calling on Dow to cease clopyralid production."

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/h...st-1076881.php