Old 22-12-2016, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Frozen

The hard freeze two days ago did in the sweet peppers, eggplant, and
tomatoes. We're letting them sit for the moment even though the
temperatures are back in the high sixties, low seventies. I will miss
the three or four year old pepper plant. It's still green but the leaves
are crumpled so I think it will not come back.

The fall vegetables are doing well, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
are coming along well and we're harvesting several varieties of lettuce
daily for our salads and sandwiches.

Nothing much else going in the gardens but am still waiting to prune the
pear tree. Still lots of green leaves and my "pear book" says to prune
just before the tree leafs out again. That will probably be mid January
to early February due to our screwed up weather. I think I'm going to do
some light pruning for the kumquat tree, the fig tree doesn't really
need to be pruned as it grows openly.

Still to cold for my wishes but not much to go outside at this time of
year. Could use some more rain but haven't been getting much, which may
be a blessing as many drivers here don't do well in rain, sleet or snow.
I do fairly well due to being stationed in New England when I was a
sailor a hundred years ago or less. G

George