Old 14-01-2017, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Unknown tropical tree

On 14/01/17 18:35, Karl-Heinz Rekittke wrote:
Am 14.01.2017 um 17:03 schrieb David E. Ross:
On 1/14/2017 6:25 AM, Karl-Heinz Rekittke wrote:
Hello!

A question from the German de.rec.garten-group:
Does anyone know this tree from North-Thailand?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/der-re...7677159834852/

It seems to me that here are more experts for tropical plants.

I do not know what it is. However, it appears to be a vine climbing a
tree and not the tree itself.

My idea was, that it is a kind of eucalyptus. But a masterclass from
de.rec.garten *) now found the right tree: Couroupita guianensis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couroupita_guianensis
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanonenkugelbaum

Yes, it is a "Cannonball Tree". I remember seeing the tree in Singapore
Botanic Gardens many years ago. It is not a tree you want to examine up
close, as it drops its fruits without warning!

*) Dr. Gotthelf Wolmershäuser, with his nice garden, full of other Ericales:
http://www.wolmershaeuser.de/kontakt.html

Indeed. Gotthelf posted an ID request to uk.rec.gardening about 6 years
ago. There was a link to his garden website in the post, and I was
amazed at how beautiful the garden was, and what a wonderful variety of
plants were growing there.

--

Jeff