Old 21-01-2017, 06:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Don Wiss Don Wiss is offline

Default Racoons and squirrels eating avocados

On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 19:48:49 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

A large Hav-a-hart will catch practically every thing when baited with
peanut butter. I've caught numerous squirrels and a few groundhogs and
raccoons but only the smaller raccoons will fit in the trap originally
bought for ground hogs.

For raccoons it needs to be the real large Havahart. I have one (now on
loan so I don't know the model or size) and despite being somewhat large
the raccoons were able to trip, but get out. I think the mom would go in
with the kits behind. When the door came down the kits kept it from closing
and all got out. So be sure the description has large raccoon in it.

I used marshmallows. They are cheap. They worked.

Laws vary. Around here you can trap and kill but not release but I
release anyway. I'm careful with what I trap as rabies is endemic here too.

Not much rabies around here. But you have to release far away. Preferably
with a river in between.

At one time I did successfully eliminate the squirrel population. After
some years they figured out how to get the feed from my squirrel proof bird
feeder. I tried everything. Then I decided to relocate the knowledge. Now
my Brooklyn row house has pretty much enclosed back yards. After many
dozens of relocates the block had no more squirrels. And it worked. The
next winter the squirrels that moved in didn't even realize that there was
food in the feeder.

I haven't put the feeder out in years. So I cannot tell what happened next.

Don http://foraging.com/ e-mail at page bottom.