Old 24-01-2017, 05:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Spring garden

We're looking through the seed catalogs and also going through our
collection of seeds kept in the refrigerator.

There's not going to be anymore black crowder peas, the seed we got last
year gave us peas that were very gritty for some reason plus we have a
LOT of canned and frozen crowder peas on hand. Also have a lot of canned
green beans so are looking for something different. I'm sort of thinking
about lima beans as they are a favorite here. I'm a bit torn as bagged
lima beans are actually very cheap so why grow my own when they all
taste the same. G

Thought about corn, then remembered that the one time we put in corn on
this garden, nothing happened. No tassels, no corn on the cob, just lots
of stalk, good for composting but not for eating. Never did figure out
why the tassels didn't get fertilized. We had a bumper crop of beets
this past season, same with carrots, kale, and various other fall/winter
crops.

I'm going to order a bag of earthworms too, no more red wigglers. We
found exactly one large earthworm poking around in the raised beds so I
think we will put some more in to help.

We're talking about pulling the three blueberry bushes in the raised bed
along the fence line. They bloomed the first year but made no berries,
then haven't bloomed since. I think it's because they're in to much
shade. Now thinking that I will put in a batch of domestic dewberries, a
local garden center has those in stock and dewberry plants love the
shade plus are very tasty and make good cobblers, jellies and jams.

We've had some good rains this fall and winter and the weather folk say
there is more to come. Might save a buck or two on the water this year.

I need to prune the pear tree as it is dropping its leaves now, won't be
long before the new leaves appear and I want to prune just before that
starts. Probably do it tomorrow if I have good weather. I went out
yesterday and tied little pieces of cloth on the "rain" limbs so I get
the right ones out. I will then chop them into smaller pieces and put
them in my smoking wood container for later use. Fruit woods are very
good for smoking meat and saves on having to buy mesquite and hickory.

George