Old 26-01-2017, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Brussels but no sprouts

On 1/26/2017 10:05 AM, Mark wrote:
Mark

Usually if they haven't had a good frost on them they wont sprout.
I sometimes have the problem. if the winters too mild, they've been
planted late or not enough water. Then they wont do as well.

David Hare-Scott wrote:
In the autumn I planted various brassicas. The cabbages grew and
made large cabbages, the cauliflowers grew and made good heads etc.
However the brussels sprouts grew stems with leaves and little tiny
sprouts about the size of a pea. They are all in the same plot and
treated the same way. Now it's spring and I am about to pull out the
brussels sproutless. Can anybody tell me why the sprouts never grew
any sprouts?

David

Ever since being a member of this group - I've tried to re-grow brussels
sprouts. Again - my crop was terrible this past year. I think I grew
them too late, I didn't trim the lower leaves off the plant and I didn't
stake them properly. All three will be practiced this year .. in
addition to some new varieties of seeds from England. Varieties 'state-
side' is limited.

Any new ideas very much appreciated.

All the best,
Mark Thompson

Brussels sprouts are the one green that I just cannot bring myself to
eat. When I was a very young man in the U.S. Navy the !@#$% chief cook
on the destroyer I was on evidently loved the damned things. We had them
about three times a week. I can smell them cooking now and I start gagging.

Cabbage, kale, any other green garden type, I will eat.

I hope this doesn't jinx you Mark. G

George in Texas, USA