Old 08-02-2017, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Root Balls

On 2/8/2017 1:27 PM, songbird wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
When I was a small boy I used to go in the summer to stay at my Aunt's
place and her son and myself would go into the woods and poke around
under rotting logs for earthworms. That was my first and last time to
ever see such large worms. Big around as a pencil and about 12 inches
long. Very good fish bait in the nearby river and you only needed a few.

i wonder if they were what we call night crawlers
up around here. they do get to that size or larger.

there weren't many around in our yard when i first
started gardening, but i do find them now after i let
some go into the gardens. they've seemed happy enough
here to keep making more. they do like soil with at
least a little clay in it for building their burrows.

You jogged a very old memory songbird, thank you for that. My aunt, my
Mother's elder sister, her husband, my Dad's younger brother, lived
about a half mile from the river so it was easy to go out and get a mess
of fish PDQ.

yw. i have fond memories of fishing various places
but by far the best were when i was up north and able
to walk those streams/rivers.

It's warm again here in SE Texas and I'm really ticked off. Went off to
get handicap plates at a courthouse annex that no longer exists, even if
the county's webpage says it's there. That location is now a large
airport. Damned shame the county can't remove things from their website.
Now I find I can mail it.

it seems that with handicap plates they'd make it
easier for people to get them.

the only time i go to the secretary of state office
here is when i need a new driver's license or new
plates. the rest of the time it all gets done on-line
and they send the tags in the mail. we're fairly lucky
that so far they have not removed our local small town
branch.

songbird

Here in Texas and next door in Louisiana drivers licenses are pretty
much good forever or until you're gone. Plates last a long time but car
inspections are every year and you get another sticker and they're on
the windshield. Luckily we have an inspection place half a mile from the
house and they also do car washes. We drive one car over and one
follows, then they call us and we go back and pick the other one back.
We get the sticker, a car wash, mine was a $90 detail as the car is
covered with dog hair and old man hair and both are hard to get off of
things. G I might do that about every three or four years thoughl