Old 11-02-2017, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Tunnelling critters

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 07:36:27 -0600
"Terry Coombs" wrote:

snip
I suspect the increase is a sign of a healthy
ecosystem in the soil , and I also think they are benefitting the soil by
loosening and aerating it . Hey , if they wanna do my plowing for me ... but
the bottom line is that if they're not eating my plants and are eating grubs
and other invertebrates I might as well let 'em . Besides , it may very well
be impossible to get rid of them . They're all over here in the edges of the
woods , along the (dirt/gravel) roads , and it would be a massive project .

Moles are closely related to Shrews. They are known as insectivores.
Probably the Eastern Mole, usually found in relatively dry areas. We
have Star-nosed too. They usually keep to the really wet areas and
don't cause any mowing trouble. It didn't look like they were in your
area.

http://icwdm.org/handbook/mammals/Moles.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_mole

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star-nosed_mole

I've got them all around too. I just trap the really annoying ones
where I mow. Their mounds don't do your mower blades any good...

Harpoon traps work the best for me. Especially the large older models.
You would have to get lucky and find the latter at a yard sale maybe...
That design dates back to the 1800's. I've got several other versions
but the harpoon works best for me if needed.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b