Old 11-02-2017, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default Tunnelling critters

On Sat, 11 Feb 2017 15:12:20 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

songbird wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

I got 'em . In my gardens , in the woods , under the house , and
other places . I'm not sure what they are , whether ground squirrels
, moles , or gophers . I do know my dog (mountain cur) loves to try
to catch them , digging up their tunnels and shoving his nose in
them sniffing . These tunnels are about 2"-4" below the surface and
leave a hump - where there are a lot of them close together the
ground is soft . How do I figure out what they are ?

i vote moles. chipmunks and voles don't tend
to push things up as much IME. mice usually use
other things. gophers are bigger aren't they?

They're moles , I saw one this afternoon under the bird feeder . He/it
darted out , grabbed something and darted back into his hole .

That confirms it - moles are those little fast darty things ..
... with no eye sight. or ears. ...
... crafty little critters.
John T.