Old 10-03-2017, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Weather

On 3/10/2017 12:15 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
George Shirley wrote:
Looks like we're going to get a few days of rain starting today. The
rain will be good for our gardens as we have had some sporadic light
rains this spring. Temperatures are warming almost daily and the
spring garden is doing well so far.

George

---

We're looking at near-freezing tonight and Monday and hard freezes
tomorrow , Sunday , and Tuesday . I sure wish expletive deleted Mother
Nature would get her expletive deleted together . It's been warm enough
here for all the early fruit trees to blossom , my peach is starting to leaf
out , the redbuds and a lot of other stuff out in the woods is blooming .
This is not good for the bees ... they're already in expansion mode for the
spring flow , which may be messed up now .

That's why we stay in this part of Texas, freezing is not something we
like. The fig tree looks to be ready to start making figs, the pear tree
has just barely started to put on new leaves, and the kumquat has
replaced all the frozen leaves already. Should be blooming to before
long and the pear tree needs to start soon.

The fruit trees have had about three years of growth so I'm giving them
a little fertilizer this spring. Will be fertilizing the pear and the
fig as the kumquat got it's very small amount. I want the roots to get
busy and dig a little deeper and farther out from the trunks. Will get
around to fertilizing the grass in the front yard before long too.
That's all the goodies they get in a year.

Now I've got another problem, whomever built this house used cheap half
inch pine to separate the concrete on the driveway. I'm going to be
putting in either plastic or cedar to replace the crappy pine there. Not
a big job but it appears that the builder of this house and several
others just like it in this subdivision did sloppy work. Some of us
might want to sue the builder but he's already gone bankrupt so that's
not in our future.

Otherwise the world for us is pretty good, grocery store nearby, doctors
and dentist's just down the road a little bit, our kids, grands, and
great grands come by frequently and we know where they live and when
they make dinner. G

George expecting some more rain tonight or tomorrow