Old 15-03-2017, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default What is the best tool to cut this down

Jim wrote:

I have a neighbour that I'd like to cut his tree down for him, but have
no garden tools myself once i have spoken to him and got his permission
what tool/tools would be best to hire/buy for the job?

If I was doing it, I would first gradually work away at the
smaller branches, from the safety of the ground, using my
telescopic pruner:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of designs about, here is a much cheaper one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-6Telescopic-Extendable-High-Quality-Reach-Garden-Tree-Branch-Pruner-Cut-Lopper-/122367308938

If you can reach, you might alternatively be able to do it with a
pair of loppers:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Secateurs%2C+Loppers+%26+Pruners/sd3181/Spear+%26+Jackson+Telescopic+Bypass+Lopper/p93471

Then I would work on the larger branches with a bow saw, taking
care not to cut off a section so heavy that I could not control
it when it fell

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Landscaping/d130/Garden+Saws/sd3265/Bow+Saw/p41388

I guess you are wanting to remove the tree completely. If so,
leave at least a metre of trunk, so that you have leverage as you
dig and chop (using implements of your choice) around the roots
and try to get it free.

Eye protection is worth wearing.

Chris
--