Old 28-03-2017, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
stuart noble stuart noble is offline

Default Germination of Tomatoes

On 27/03/2017 22:24, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 27/03/17 16:07, Judith in England wrote:

Anyone else experiencing problem or delays?

I sowed three different varieties in greenhouse a week ago today :
container on
heated sand bed: thermostatic heater in greenhouse : and none have come
through. Previous years the first ones usually come through in three
or four
days.

Pure coincidence I am sure : but a couple of colleagues have also
experienced
slow germination this year of tomatoes.

I sowed a dozen or two 3-year old Golden Sunrise seeds in an 8cm pot and
put it in a heated propagator. Germination was pretty good in less than
a week, and the seedlings are now a week on and look fine.

I germinate all biggish seeds between 2 layers of wet kitchen roll
covered with a piece of bubble wrap in a warm part of the house. Never
fails :-)