Old 30-03-2017, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
James Wilkinson Sword[_2_] James Wilkinson Sword[_2_] is offline

Default Plastic flowerpots

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 20:04:58 +0100, David wrote:

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 18:52:12 +0100, David

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 18:17:28 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017 17:04:04 +0100, "James Wilkinson Sword"
wrote:

What is it with people using tacky plastic flowerpots in their
gardens? Plastic pots are what you take the plant home in from B&Q.
Haven't these people heard of glazed clay?

Depends. I save all my flowerpots that contained plants bought at
garden centres as they're useful for potting-on plants that are being
raised prior to them being planted in the garden.

Larger plastic planters are lighter and cheaper than the fancy glazed
pottery ones, but I will admit I do prefer the latter for permanent
display e.g. on the patio or in the conservatory.

When they're full of earth, both are about the same weight.

If you're just raising loads in a greenhouse, sure, use plastic. But
for permanent plants in the garden?!

Many of the glazed pots have lousy drainage so break in heavy frost, the
answer is to stand your plant in it's plastic pot inside your glazed
container.

They have holes in the bottom just like the plastic ones. Anyway you
can buy frost proof ones.

Most of them have just one hole in the base,

Enough to drain just as fast.

and I have seen the "Frost
proof" pots in pieces after a winter outside in a garden centre

Mine don't, and that's in Scotland. Probably the garden centre ones get physical abuse.

I got loads of stuff cheap when there was a gailforce wind and the staff were running around panicking trying to salvage things, made worse by a powercut causing their computers to go down. They began bartering.

--
What's the ultimate in rejection?
Having a wank and your hand goes to sleep!