Old 04-04-2017, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Could this be the year of the over wintered figs?

On 31/03/2017 10:37, David wrote:
One debunked urban myth is that if fig trees produce fruit in the autumn
these should be left on as they provide next year's crop.

So far I have never seen this happen. Second crop Brown Turkey sit around
over winter and gradually die and drop off, and new buds form the next
year's crop.

However this year is unusual in that I seem to have quite a few survivors
on the pot grown tree, and various trees near us that are grown in the
ground also seem to have a large number of over wintered fruit.

Could this be the year?
Probably not.

I dunno, but FWIW my potted Brown Turkey has also got some figs on this
year staying on over the winter for the first time ever.

Perhaps conditions being so mild again were more to its liking.

Oh, and I recall reading somewhere that Brown Turkey is a continuous
cropper but only manages to ripen one crop in the UK; fair enough, but I
also read somewhere that only the first crop is self fertile which seems
illogical.

Call myth busters?

I think getting them ripe might be a challenge at my latitude but I am
game to give it a try. There are some huge riverside fig trees growing
wild in the industrial heartlands that do set fruit but they have pretty
rubbish fruit for the most part neither ripe nor worth eating

Apparently they date from the Victorian era. There is decent sized one
in central Manchester visible looking down from Blackfriars bridge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown