Old 05-04-2017, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
earthstick earthstick is offline

Default Help needed growing a cherry tree

It is a sunburst cherry on a colt rootstock which is semi-vigorous (my mistake).

I have staked it towards the bottom after reading that a bit of movement when it is windy will stimulate the tree to root quicker.

I did nothing with it in the first year or it may have been 2 - can't quite remember now. The existing branches grew longer but no side branches. I read about trimming every other bud to promote side branching so I tried that last year but still nothing. So this year I tried trimming back some of the new growth on the two leading branches. Looks like that will have no effect either.

There are no suckers coming from below the graft but I can see what look like buds there. Will see what happens in the coming months.