Old 12-04-2017, 02:20 PM
nightofjoy nightofjoy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross[_2_] View Post
On 4/11/2017 2:43 PM, nightofjoy wrote:
We have an area of yard that serves no purpose, but the corner is all we
can see from the kitchen sink window of our flat, so we thought we'd
stick a large potted plant there to brighten up the view when we're
doing the dishes.

We chose a California Lilac bush, which is currently about 3 feet tall,
fairly woody and bare at the base.

The pot we've chosen is massive, and I was wondering could anyone
suggest some companion plants to put around the base?

It will need to be very easy maintenance and ideally provide lots of
summer colour year on year, only growing to 12" - 18" in height. We
thought oranges and yellows would look nice. Needs to be commonly
available, and non-toxic to pets.

Thanks in advance.

Ceanothus prefers to be somewhat dry. You will kill it if you keep the
soil in the pot constantly moist. Thus, you should choose succulents or
other drought-tolerant companion plants.

Also note that Ceanothus is not a long-lived plant. Even with the best
care, it might not live more than 5-10 years.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Several sources over here describe them as easy-care, being happy in soil which isn't waterlogged, so I'm hoping we can find other plants for the pot without restricting ourselves to succulents...

If anybody here in the UK can suggest some suitable plants, that would be great...