Old 14-04-2017, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default White English Bluebell -- Huh?

On 4/14/2017 7:03 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 4/13/2017 8:26 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
It is possible that the bulbs you planted were hybrids and that some
went to seed after blooming.

I guess that is possible. The supplier guaranteed that the bulbs were
'pure' but only to the extent that they were 'English' and not 'Spanish' or
'Spanish' hybrids which apparently are more aggressive and not so desirable.

I'll try to remember to keep an eye on that patch to see what turns up next
Spring. If I wasn't so lazy I'd consider digging up the bulbs in the Autumn
after the foliage starts to die down and plant them in locations which have
proven more amenable. The ones which wound up in the fern bed on the north
side of the house have really exploded and are twice as tall. Somehow there
are lily of the valley trying to take over there too although I don't
recall ever planting any.

It is good that none were Spanish bluebells. They would be more suited
to my climate -- mild winters and hot summers -- than to your climate.
I cannot grow English bluebells here in southern California.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see