Old 16-04-2017, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
indigo indigo is offline

Default Shady place grass seed!

On 14/04/2017 15:49, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Muddymike wrote:
Is there such a thing as shady place grass?

I have got around to reminding myself of the plant that makes a
good substitute for grass in shady places in my garden: ground
ivy. It doesn't seem to seed significantly, though its runners
are a trifle invasive - but it's very shallow-rooted and very
easy to remove. And it survives being walked on.

There were spreading patches of ground ivy under apple trees in my late
mother in law's old orchard, and I always thought it was rather pretty
when it flowered, so I took a root or two and added it under a group of
hazel shrubs in my wild area where it's now made itself at home
scrambling about among primroses and wild violets. Even quite dry shade
doesn't seem to faze it very much.

--
Sue