Old 19-04-2017, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aphid remedies please

On 16/04/2017 10:56, Bertie Doe wrote:
A 5 year old bougainvillea is suffering rapid leaf loss. Close
inspection shows aphids to be the villains. It's planted in the soil of
the allotment greenhouse.

Main concern is preventing the aphids migrating to the newly sprouted
seedlings, in trays of compost, nearby. I need to spend some time today
with soapy water and brush them off.

Check that the plant doesn't react badly to being sprayed with
horticultural soap. I ruined a kitchen bay tree once as the soap removed
a waxy leaf coating and they all dessicated and dropped off.

Q. Can anyone suggest a spray deterrent, to prevent future attacks? I've
tried various insecticides in the past (can't remember their names) with
no luck. TIA.

It is an ornamental so if you really want them dead you can use a potent
systemic insecticide that also works on first contact. It isn't like you
are going to eat the fruit later.

I'm a bit surprised aphids can trouble it so early in the season.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown