Old 26-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Cybe R. Wizard

Default What triggers toad/frog croaking?

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 12:59:00 -0500, K30a wrote:

Cybe wrote yet yesterday I saw several bullfrog tads in my back
pond.

Were they fairly well developed tadpoles? An inch long as compared
to emerging taddies from the egg?

Yes, they were just about an inch. no sign of feets, though.

Bullfrog tadpoles will winter over and then change the following
spring. Again, all temperature (and I'll be food) dependent.
Greenfrog tads will also winter over. The adult bullfrogs will try
and eat their babies both in tad and emerging frog form. I had
thousands of eggs laid and the following year I found one large
taddie.

k30a

No kidding? Over winter? I love this group! Always something to learn!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
Original PORG "Water Wizard," R.P.