Old 01-05-2003, 01:56 AM
Kim

Default Help identify this small white flower/weed

In article , says...

You have rather precisely described the European-origin invasive known as
garlic mustard - Alliaria petiolata.

http://webapps.lib.uconn.edu/ipane/j...ifier=uconn_ip
ane_alliapetio_08

This image was better than any I'd seen in searching for it and it is, indeed,
garlic mustard. The ones I have are taller than this example.

That's a picture of it. I live where you do (western slope of Blue Ridge,
near Harpers Ferry), and it's popping out in the oak forest understory right
now. At the front of out lot, I'm trying to extirpate it and make way for
expansion of my Virginia bluebells (now three years old and splendid this
spring), and a new planting of partridgeberry, which looks like it has about
a chance in a zillion of surviving. ... Despite the garlic mustard, we do
also have an efflorescence of Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica),
Cut-leafed Toothwort, and Rue Anemone in the same woods.

The rear of our lot borders a small ravine that's pretty full of trees, but
isn't actually "woods". The garlic mustard is growing under cover of the
canopy of trees, in partial sun.

What are you doing to try to get rid of it? Chopping it off at the roots
before it flowers, or digging it out? I read that it doesn't like acid soil,
so is there any way to add a soil suppliment to the area it grows in, in hope
of discouraging it?

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis