Old 10-05-2003, 01:56 AM
@ttilla the pun

Default What animal digs small holes in lawn??

"al" wrote in message
"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Yes, we once found a rat that had been half buried so that only the head

was
above ground. It looked bizarre, as if it had just emerged and was

looking
around. We put it down to foxes which we are always digging holes in our
plots, you should see our seed bed, looks like a bomb site.
Then there's the local cats and the squirrels looking for their buried

nuts,
and the crows.........

Crows digging holes ...!?

Anyway, this hole is in the middle of tough, well-established grass that
you'd be doing well to get a shovel through. Some serious claws to do

that.
Seems a bit too small and round to be dog/cat/fox, but that's just
conjecture. Plus they normally only do that for covering waste/finding
bones don't they? Half a foot deep too - do squirrels dig that deep and
aren't they daytime animals?

It could be shrews they dig holes to mate at this time of the year.