Old 10-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Pat Meadows

Default burning leaves in garden

On Sat, 10 May 2003 17:49:40 GMT, wrote:

I have a lot of trees. Those trees have alot of leaves.. I am
fortunate to live in a town that not only allows, but encourages leaf
burning. My question is this.. does the ash left from the leaves
have any value in the garden? I know too many leaves can cause the
ground to become acidic, but what about the ash left from burning
them? Is it possible to put too much on?

I'd certainly prefer to either compost the leaves or spread
them on the garden to be turned under in spring. I think
you'd be wasting an awful lot of good organic matter if you
burn them.

Pat