Old 13-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Thorny shrubs

On Sun, 11 May 2003 17:16:20 +0000 (UTC), sw wrote:

I want to plant a boundary of thorny shrubs. Which such shrubs are easy to
grow from cuttings? I've tried growing some thorny types before, but the
cuttings never made roots.

Some of the flowering quinces (chaenomeles) are pretty prickly,
and they're dead easy from cuttings. Good flowers in spring,
reasonable foliage in summer, some have yellow-apple-ish fruits
in fall and winter.

Also easy from seed: leave the fruits on the ground until Feb,
then open, remove seeds, sow, and put pot outside. They come up
in about two months.

Another thorny is Poncirus trifoliata. There's a contorted
cultivar "Flying Dragon" if that kind of thing appeals to you.
Cuttings or seed, if you can find ripe fruit.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada