Old 15-05-2003, 02:08 PM
simy1

Default burning leaves in garden

"Dave Allyn" (Dave Allyn) wrote in message ...
Wood ash is 0/1.5/8 with a pH of 10.4. Leaf ash is going to be about
the same. I am shocked that you have to lime when all that ash can do
just as good a job.
I lime my own garden with wood ash.

I guess that is some of my confusion. I have always heard Leaves will
make your soil (or compost) acidic. I had thought that Lime was
alkiline and would therefore combat the acid from the leaves... then,
I had someone tell me that lime is neutral, and would remove acid or
alki. Now it sounds like lime is acid....

what does lime do??

Lime increases the pH of the soil (is alkaline). A neutral pH is 7. In
your woodland, pH is within one unit of 5.3 probably. Wood ash
increases the pH and returns the potassium to the soil. If you know
what you are doing, there is never a situation where lime is
preferrable to ash. You do not have to combat acidity under trees
because they like it that way.

Leaves are acidic, but ash is alkaline. The acid components of leaves
go up in smoke.