Old 16-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Drakanthus

Default Thorny shrubs

I want to plant a boundary of thorny shrubs. Which such shrubs are easy
grow from cuttings? I've tried growing some thorny types before, but the
cuttings never made roots.
=== Sam ===

Pyracantha root very easily. If you are prepared to wait one - two years you
can grow your own thorny hedge
very cheaply. Pyracantha is used widely in public places such as surrounding
car
parks. If you've got the nerve it doesn't hurt to snip one or two pieces
(about 4
inches long) from well established bushes (with permission of course) or
find out
when they are likely to be trimmed and ask if you can take a handful of
hedge
trimmings home with you. I generally get a rooting rate of about 75%. Just
tear
off the lower leaves, dip the tip into hormone rooting compound and push
into a
pot of compost or garden soil. You can cram about 20 cuttings into an 8 inch
pot.
Well water and keep in a North facing position for about six months until
roots
start to emerge from the bottom of the pot. Split them up and plant them
where
required. Keep well fed and watered for the first year.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)