Old 26-01-2003, 01:08 PM
Frogleg

Default Fast growing seed for science project

On 25 Jan 2003 20:30:24 GMT, ospam (BNtylions)
wrote:

My son is entering his school's science fair. His topic is growing seeds w/
various types of light. Does anyone have any ideas for the best kinds of seeds
to use for such a project.

How many thousands of science projects have been done on this subject?
Seems to me a project ought to present some *new* hypothesis and
experimentation. Sounds as if your son's teacher may have said, "...or
you could start some seeds with different lights..." Why not question
the kid into thinking up some interesting variation on a tired old
theme? Is he *interested* in seeds and light? Maybe a comparison
between the germination rates of dried supermarket beans and bean
'seeds' would be interesting. Check some of the questions in
rec.gardens -- "Can I save seeds from my tomatoes/peppers/melons and
grow them?" Of course, the hybrid fruit characteristics are beyond a
short-term project, but at least it's a little different. What kind of
supermarket jarred spice seeds will actually grow? How 'bout an
in-depth web survey of how many bean/light experiments have been done
and a report on their conclusions?