Old 02-02-2003, 06:13 AM
Me

Default Scott's and Marathon on same lawn-need help

Thanks for your response Warren. I live in the foothills of Los Angeles, in
the San Fernando Valley.
The lawn is 90% marathon, which seems to be a popular brand around here. I'm
a new homeowner and learning as I go along.
I want the lawn to be 100% marathon.

According to the Marthon box, it says
Variety:
Hubbard 87 Tall Rescue Purity (64.91) and Germ (90%)
(Turf Type)
Baja Tall Fescue (34.95) and Germ (90%)
(Turf Type)

The Scott's box says
88.70% Gulf Annual Ryegrass Germ (90%)
9.00% Shining Star perennial ryegrass Germ (90%)
1.3% other cropp seed
..7% inert matter
..3% weed seed

Hopefully that gives you the information.

Thanks

Number one: Stop looking at the brand name on the front of the bag of
grass seed, and look on the back of the bag for the list of what kinds
of grass seed(s) is included in the bag.

Number two: What kind of grass is the predominant grass in the lawn?
Depending on what kind of grass it is (and this has nothing to do with
the brand name on the bag), it may or may not be dominant enough to
eventually choke-out the other grass. Or maybe it'll be the other way
around.

Also, where do you live? Different grasses are better for different
climates. And what about sun and shade conditions?

If you're so lost that you can't even identify the kind of grass
(remember--this has nothing to do with the brand), then your first step
would be to find somebody who can identify the grass for you.

Here's a place to start learning about lawns:
http://homestore.com/HomeGarden/gard...ns/default.asp

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.