Old 03-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Frogleg

Default Snow and Grass Seed

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:10:38 -0500, "BenignVanilla"
wrote:

I have heard people talk about throwing down seed this time of year (I am in
MD), so the seed gets worked into the soil by the snow, freeze, thaw action.
Any credibility to this theory? I know several people that sweat by it.

I remember this from a coupld of mentions in the TV program 'China
Beach.' I just heard a local garden guru say planting grass seed
before the soil warmed up was an exercise in futility. While he didn't
say *not* to scatter it over snow, he did recommend not seeding 'til
close to the average last frost date. Before that time, you can apply
weed killer and have the soil tested for what ammendments it may
require.