Old 05-06-2003, 08:08 AM
Barrie Mather

Default GROWING POTATOES IN DRUMS?

John S. DeBoo wrote:

ROBERT O'REILLY wrote:

i heard that you can take a 55-gal. drum,put about a foot of soil in
it, and plant potatoes. as the folage grows, keep adding soil till the
drum is near full. let grow for whatever time a potato takes,(never
grew them before), and dump the drum, yeilding alot of potatoes in a
small space. heard this will work for sweet potatoes as well. anyone
have any insight on this?
thanks for any and all info.

The best *sounding* idea I heard was growing them in a short stack of old
tires. When ready to harvest, push over the stack and pick them from the
dirt. No shovel slices etc. I tried it and my dirt was so damned hard I
almost needed a truck to push over 3 high a stack of tiresG. It was
harder than cement! If your dirt is good this sure seems like a winner
anyway.

--
John S. DeBoo

I've tried this with a sttack of tyres several times but it doesn't work for me

Getting enough soil to fill the body of the tyre leaves a big hole in
your dirt If you dont fill the tyre, the developing plants are left with
their tails in the water

Barrie
Mycurrentt theory is that each time you put in more soil, you must put
in more spuds as well