Old 06-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Cristine

Default GROWING POTATOES IN DRUMS?

I'm currently growing potatoes with the tire method. I started with two tires and now
I'm up to four tires. My plants are flowering and looking lovely. If all goes well,
I should have a great crop of potatoes.

I'll let you know

Cristine

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message ...
ROBERT O'REILLY wrote:

i heard that you can take a 55-gal. drum,put about a foot of soil in
it, and plant potatoes. as the folage grows, keep adding soil till the
drum is near full. let grow for whatever time a potato takes,(never
grew them before), and dump the drum, yeilding alot of potatoes in a
small space. heard this will work for sweet potatoes as well. anyone
have any insight on this?
thanks for any and all info.

The best *sounding* idea I heard was growing them in a short stack of old
tires. When ready to harvest, push over the stack and pick them from the
dirt. No shovel slices etc. I tried it and my dirt was so damned hard I
almost needed a truck to push over 3 high a stack of tiresG. It was
harder than cement! If your dirt is good this sure seems like a winner
anyway.

--
John S. DeBoo