Old 17-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Sundar Narasimhan

Default mower blade stuck.. Q: how to remove..

Hi, I've had a John Deere mower for about 7 years, and every year have
not had much trouble (although I've cried foul a couple of times)
removing the blade for sharpening. This year however, no matter what I
do, the bolt (that holds the blade onto the mower deck) seems to be
stuck solid.. and I'm seeing the bolt head beginning to strip as I go at
it w/ a spanner/wrench + hammer.. Any suggestions on how I can get it
out.. WD40 doesn't seem to help (the thing is probably so tight that
it's not doing anything).. I've been wondering if I should put ice on
the bolt and somehow heat the collar to make it expand making it easier
to turn..

Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.