Old 17-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Salty Thumb

Default mower blade stuck.. Q: how to remove..

Sundar Narasimhan wrote in

Hi, I've had a John Deere mower for about 7 years, and every year have
not had much trouble (although I've cried foul a couple of times)
removing the blade for sharpening. This year however, no matter what I
do, the bolt (that holds the blade onto the mower deck) seems to be
stuck solid.. and I'm seeing the bolt head beginning to strip as I go
at it w/ a spanner/wrench + hammer.. Any suggestions on how I can get
it out.. WD40 doesn't seem to help (the thing is probably so tight
that it's not doing anything).. I've been wondering if I should put
ice on the bolt and somehow heat the collar to make it expand making
it easier to turn..

Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I once had a nut that was holding a wheel barrow axle stuck, probably
10+ years of rust and neglect. I ended up cutting it in half with a
Dremel (and it still didn't give without a fight). Obviously don't do
this if you can't find a replacement nut.

Won't banging on it with a hammer damage the transmission or whatever?