Old 20-06-2003, 06:44 AM
dstvns

Default Removing a forsythia

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:11:25 -0400, "Natty_Dread"
wrote:

Hi all -- I have a couple of forsythias I'd like to get rid of because
they're overgrown with grass and weeds from inside the shrubs and I haven't
been able to get rid of the overgrowth.

I can understand that. they can be very invasive.

I don't have any experience removing shrubs, and I've
heard that forsythias have deep root systems, so I'm wondering (1) if that's
actually true about the root systems, and (2) about how far I'll need to dig
down to remove these.

My smaller forsythia weren't too difficult to remove. The larger ones
required a pry-bar (spud bar) and a rock for leverage, but they also
came out. I chopped them down to 2 feet of stalks, removing all
brush, then used the pry bar on the roots. A lot of work, but I'll do
*ANYTHING* to get out of the house this spring.

A great plant to replace asiatic forsythia is the native spicebush,
lindera benzoin (another common name for it is the "forsythia of the
wilds"). It has smaller flowers than the asiatic versions, but the
drupes (fruit berries) of the plant are used by two dozen native
birds, especially needed along migration routes. The bark can also be
used as a tea, and the entire bush is fragrant. They require both a
female and male bush for fruit-set. The female will have berries, but
the male's flowers will be showier.

Dan