Old 06-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Pat Meadows

Default HELP? Vegetable plants all have light green leaves?

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 20:33:07 GMT, "Bob Petruska"
wrote:

I have a major problem where all my vegetables have very luight green leaves
to where the are almost yellow. I live in northeastern PA and June was just
30 days of rain and now sun so this may be a factor.

The veggies that are light green are Tomatos, peppers, beans, cucumbers,
onions, cabbage. I use 10-10-10 fertilizer, and Ironite. PA has acid rain
so I usually mix in soem lime in the early spring.

Also the plants are not growing bushy at all the tomatos and peppers are
look thin.

Any suggestions?

We live in north central PA, and the weather during both May
and June was just appalling, as you say - almost NO sunshine
at all. I've never seen a spring anything like it.

My plants are OK, but I believe that's because they were in
raised beds - good drainage - and the soil has lots and lots
of organic matter.. I don't think they'd be OK if they had
been planted directly in the ground, or if they'd been
planted directly in our naturally-occurring heavy clay.

I really don't have any suggestions except that I'd want to
get lots and lots of organic matter into the soil. Your
10-10-10, Ironite, lime regime doesn't get any organic
matter in there, AFAIK. You probably can't do this this
year, but you could in time for next season.

Organic matter: autumn leaves, compost, spent-mushroom
soil, aged manure, grass clippings, hay, straw, etc.

Pat