Old 21-07-2003, 06:24 AM
B & J

Default transplanting Hibiscus Now or fall?

"jlr" wrote in message
When can I transplant my Hibiscus, I started it in a pot 12x12 And is
growing great, My question is when should I transplant it It is a hardy
Hibiscus and is just getting ready to flower. I want to do it right so
it will come back from the root next year.

I don't know your zone, but they survive outside from zone 5a through 10b
although claims have been made that they survive as far north as Mpls., MN.
It doesn't seem to matter whether you plant them in the spring or fall. I
have planted them in both the spring and fall and have literally pulled
plants out of the ground in the spring, where they came up from seeds,
planted them elsewhere, and had them do just fine. I've also dug seedlings
up in the fall, put them in pots, which I buried in the ground, and dug the
pots up to take to our annual garden club plant sale the following spring.
They're tough! :-)

John