Old 22-07-2003, 06:10 AM
B & J

Default transplanting Hibiscus Now or fall?

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
If it is indeed a hardy perennial type Hibiscus and you are moving them

from
a pot into the ground, you should do it ASAP.

Make sure you intend for it to be its permanent location because they will
form a massive rootstock once they are in the ground and they will be very
difficult to move later on.

That's contrary to the experience I've had with hardy hibiscus. They do
develop a large root system, but I've used a pick ax to cut off segments to
give to friends and had these segments do well. I've also moved plants with
relatively large root systems and had them survive even though parts of the
fleshy roots broke off in the process. Maybe it has something to do with
zone and moisture.

John