Old 23-07-2003, 06:42 AM
K30a

Default Leaches in pond???

Are you feeding the fish? If so you ought to cut them off, tell them to get a
job and get busy and eat those
leeches.

I did a search on potassium permaganate and leeches and found Roark's page
http://www.arborman.com/pproarky.htm
titled
The Ultimate Potassium Permanganate FAQ
and found this, which I edited a bit to take out Roark's unreasonable attitude
towards plants which is a whole 'nother story...

Is It Dangerous To My Plants?

--No--. In fact, plants appreciate the manganese. As long as you don’t use
the raw, undiluted powder directly on them -----, they won’t mind a bit. Make
a mental note that 20 ppm to 40 ppm of KMnO4 in cool water makes a great bath
for incoming plants to kill snails, leeches, and other nasties. Simply submerge
the entire plant in this solution, add a powerhead, airstone or recirc pump to
provide circulation and avoid dead spots.. then wait 6 hours. After this,
hose-off the plants and they’re ready for the pond. This treatment kills
snails, bugs and parasites without causing any damage to the plant.

Look for more info about treating the whole pond. I keyed in the word leeches
and found the above stuff.

IF you look into this you HAVE to read the ENTIRE page, because if you don't
know already, PP is nasty, nasty stuff if you
don't know what you are doing and can cause much damage to humans.

Let us know what happens!
k30a