Old 23-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Steve Coyle

Default Who invented seedless watermelon (and when)?

Howdy folks,
In regards to this question:
"Jay Casey" wrote in message ...
Does anyone here know?

Perdue l credits the Japanes Kihara and Nishiyama working from
1939-1947.
There is a book called "20th Century Bioscience: Professor O.J. Eigsti
and the Seedless Watermelon" by John H. Woodburn, published in 2000,
has anyone in this group read it ? Come on, we're among friends you
can admit it. I'm looking for a good summer read for the beach,
thought I might check this out.

UC Davis, that annoying school that beats out UT in the Botany
Department ratings has a page on the history of Watermelons, seedless
and otherwise at:

http://agronomy.ucdavis.edu/gepts/pb...elon/melon.htm

For folks who want to know what our State legislators are up to when
they are not squabbling about redistricting can check out the
resolution that was voted on proclaiming Knox City Texas as the
"Seedless Watermelon Capitol of the World" at :

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/7...t/HC00245I.HTM

I guess this distinquishes Knox from Luling which is the "Regular
Watermelon Capitol of the World"

Speaking of Watermelons, anyone figured out the secret of the
Watermelon art popping up around Austin?

Steve Coyle
www.austingardencenter.com