Old 10-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Very tall hollyhock

In article , stuart
noble writes

Earnest Trawler wrote in message ...
In my experience they grow very well in poor soil, I look after a 100 foot
row of them growing on the edge of a gravel path against a wall. They get

no
feeding, watering or anything, I just tie them back against the wall in
summer and remove the flower stalks when they are finished. Most of them
are between 7 and 9 feet high.

Must be quite a sight.
This thing of mine has gone berserk in the last week and is probably getting
on for 13ft. It's now throwing out branches at the very top with 4 new
flowers today. There is nothing else growing within 6 feet of it so I would
guess they don't like sharing the soil. Maybe I'll try growing one in a bag
of sand next year :-)

Hi

I have hollyhocks in a front flowerbed which I put in as small plants
earlier this year but they took a long time to get going and are only
3-4 feet high. I think they are suffering in our heat as some of the
flowers are dropping off half open. I can only assume that they need
more water?

Lynda