Old 10-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Simon Avery

Default Soil for pond plants?

Postcards wrote:

Hello Postcards

P What sort of soil should I use for repotting pond plants? Is
P ordinary potting soil ok?

Any normal soil, ime. Compost, humous and nutrient-rich soil is
discouraged because it can promote algae bloom in the water.

It's a tradeoff, basically. You want soil good enough for the plant to
thrive, but not so rich it spoils the surrounding pond. Different
plants may require different soils, but generally I've found generic
topsoil is about right.

Garden centres sometimes sell specific water plant soil, but that's
just normal soil that's been washed clean of nutrients and is very
expensive.

And top off with any gravel or grit.