Old 20-09-2003, 09:22 PM
BT

Default defense against squirrels and chipmunks

I find regular old chicken wire works well against squirrels and chipmunks. But
a bit tighter mesh will work better since it also deters mice and voles. I have
found that narcissus doesn't need any protection, but crocus are known as
"chipmunk candy" around here.

You can either make an underground "basket with a lid" around your bulbs if you
plant them in small groupings, or you can just lay some chicken wire overtop the
already planted garden bed and tack it down with rocks or "wire staples" (I use
pieces of bent wire clothes hangers).

This defense has worked well for me...still have the tulips I planted five years
ago.

BT

"seepnezorf1" wrote in message
Aside from a cat and bb gun, is there anything I can put in my garden to
keep the chipmunks and squirrels from digging up my bulbs? I have a mixture
of Narcissus Jack Snipe and crocuses. I stayed away from tulips and lilies
as I read these are their favorites.

thanks