Old 30-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Steven L. Johnson

Default Poulan Pro Chainsaws any good?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:46:33 -0400, wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.

I was speaking with a gentleman last night who felt very strongly
about John Deere. John Deere? I didn't even know they sold chain
saws!

For a few years John Deere owned Homelite -- they had just started to
reskin product and do some designs with their name. They had an
exclusive agreement with Home Depot.

There were chainsaws marketed as John Deere that were designs done by
their engineers ( a lot of guys were ex- Poulan people ) Shortly
after they started production -- John Deere pulled out.

The assets and designs were then sold to TTI. As far as I know there
was some arrangement to continue to build and label as John Deere for
an initial period --

Bottom line -- if what you are seeing is skinned as a John Deere, it's
probably one of those designs and IMHO a pretty good saw. Some of
the larger saws ( 45cc ) were built by a group in Europe and also a
fine saw.

Not sure of the current arrangement with TTI and John Deere -- Deere
kept their pro line, which was ( on the products I was familiar with
) private labled stuff made by someone else to their standards.