Old 03-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Alligator saw - valid alternative to chainsaw ?

In article ,
Eric the Red wrote:
I asked a question about budget chainsaws and plus the searches through
newsgroups, the general opinion is don't do it they are too dangerous.

Are alligator saws a suitable alternative to a chainsaw ? I have a number of
Leylandii that need choping up and disposing off. Max trunk size just over
12".

I can't answer that, but what is your current bowsaw like? With a
decent sized bowsaw, and a good blade, you might be amazed at the
speed you can cut through even a 12" log. I am no athlete, am 55+,
and am weak in the arms, but would have no difficulty in disposing
of half a dozen leylandii that size with one in a few weekends.

With a small bowsaw, or a bad blade, it would be a horrible job.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.