Old 07-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Dave Painter

Default clearing waste land to plant new veg garden

"Jaques d'Altrades" wrote in message
The message
from "Dave Painter" contains these

words:

But OP was after ideas so hopefully they are looking into the multi

variety
tree as a possibility.

Well, when the right shaped tuits arrive I intend to have a 'family
tree' with as many varieties as sensibly I can bud or graft on.

I think the main tree will be either a Bramley or a Charles Ross.

But I want a proper Cox, russet, Beauty of Bath for starters, then thre
is a costard I want, and several other varieties.

No, I really haven't got the room for another tree.

Reading the newspaper recently, this was mentioned in passing.

AFAICR you could get a decent rootstock with something grafted on. (Or two
or three)
as a family tree, and you can graft on year by year as you aquire new
varieties.

Tree would need a LOT of TLC, especially pruning to keep the balance right.

But can I point out, espaliers/step overs?
They don't take up a lot of room, being more in the nature of a hedge than a
tree.
IYSWIM.

Dave