Old 19-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Arthur

Default Tomatoes and cold weather?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Still got lots of outdoor tomatoes on the plants, but the weather is
beginning to get very cold.

I wouldn't like to lose any of those tomatoes which are left, so is it
too early to remove them from the plants, and if I do how do I store
them and encourage those not yet ripe to ripen?

Alan
--

Alan,
Don't pick the fruit. It will encourage then to rot at the top.

Cut off each truss with the fruit still in place. Lay them on a windowsill
where they will catch the maximum sun during the day, lift them away from
the window at night to keep them away from cold draughts. I did this with
mine a few weeks ago and have ripened well.

Do it right away. If they have already been frosted, it will be too late.

- Arthur