Old 20-10-2003, 08:02 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Tomatoes and cold weather?

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Still got lots of outdoor tomatoes on the plants, but the weather is
beginning to get very cold.

I wouldn't like to lose any of those tomatoes which are left, so is it
too early to remove them from the plants, and if I do how do I store
them and encourage those not yet ripe to ripen?

The time to bring them in is about two hours before the first frost of the
year.

Up to then they will still ripen on the plant if they get any sun.

Seriously green tomatoes don't always ripen when you bring them in.

After the first frost the plant goes to green mush and the tomatoes go all
brown and yucky.

As to when the first frost will be.........

Cheers
Dave R

P.S. you could always bring in about 50% of them - the largest and nearest
to ripening. Then let the remainder have a chance to grow a little on the
warm days and gamble you can get the rest in before a frost.